Council’s Governance Rules are a legislative requirement establishing a number of administrative procedures which Council must follow.
Section 60 of the Local Government Act 2020 requires Council to adopt and apply Governance Rules that include the following:
- The conduct of meetings of Council and Delegated Committees
- The form and availability of meeting records
- The election of the Mayor and Deputy Mayor
- The appointment of an Acting Mayor
- The Election Period Policy
- The procedure for the disclosure of a conflict of interest by a Councillor or Delegated Committee Member
- The disclosure of a conflict of interest by a member of Council staff when providing advice to Council.
Council’s current Governance Rules were first adopted in in August 2020 with a review to be undertaken after 12 months. Council Officers have reviewed the operation of the Governance Rules and now put forward proposed amendments for community engagement. Many of the changes simply bring the rules into line with current practices.
View the proposed Rules
Have your say
In accordance with Section 60(4) of the Local Government Act 2020, the community is invited to review the Governance Rules and make suggestions or provide comment to Council.
Any feedback or submissions received during this time will be provided to Council for consideration. The amended Governance Rules will then be presented to a Council Meeting for adoption.
The community can provide feedback by:
|Phone||(03) 5832 9700 and ask to speak to the Governance Team|
Greater Shepparton City Council
...or complete the feedback form below: